Saturday, July 7, 2007

Oliver Jones Live In Concert

One word to describe my experience this evening: WOW. Tonight, Phil and I saw Oliver Jones (jazz pianist) live in concert, thanks to Phil's dad. From beginning to end, the performance was flawless, breathtaking, exciting, thrilling, awe-inspiring, entertaining, skillful... and so much more. There was not a single moment where I was anything less than enthralled by the playing. I didn't know all the songs he played, but I knew most of them.
Wow. I still can't believe it.
Jones was playing with a bassist and a drummer - both of whom were wonderful musicians. The bassist had an instrument that looked like a regular wooden double bass, but with both sides chopped off. It also had a sort of vase sticking out from where the soundboard would be - for his bow. All through the evening he alternated between plucking and bowing the strings. It was wonderful. The drummer was young (Jones made a joke about it) but unbelievable! In some ways, he stole the show. His playing was, to my ear, flawless. I was especially impressed with his skill with the brushes. So much energy in his playing, and his timing was dead on with everything that Jones did.
And then the pianist himself. Before he came on, there was an opening group that had won some award from the festival. I wasn't very impressed with them and after their first (and only) song, Phil leaned over and whispered "boring" in my ear and I wholeheartedly agreed! Then the bassist and drummer for Oliver Jones came out and started playing... and after a few seconds, Oliver Jones himself walked out on stage to huge applause. Then the concert really began and was impressive from the very first note. I know I'm sensationalizing this right now, but I really did enjoy it that much! They played fast songs, they played ballads, they each had solos, they all played together, they played a song with some 20th century idioms, they played a Caribbean influenced song. It was just all so good. Like a massage for my ears.
Then Oliver Jones announced he had a special treat for the audience, and a lady (don't remember her name) came out on stage... AND THEY SHARED THE PIANO! They played Autumn Leaves - one of my favorite jazz tunes. First of all, they took turns. He then she then he then she. Then the bass and drums came in and he comped and she improvised (very well). After a verse or two, she got up and switched seats with him: she comped and he improvised! Then they went back and forth: she improvised half a verse, he finished the verse... to someone who couldn't see what was going on at the piano, I'm not sure you could tell there were two separate people playing. They didn't have drastically different styles, and they complemented each other so well. No one tried to outdo the other. It was so much fun to watch and listen to!
The whole concert... wow.

...And then I got home and stood on my porch to watch the last little bit of the fireworks competition - also quite fabulous :)
Two fantastic nights in a row... what a nice change from grumpy incompetence!

No comments: